Monday 28 October 2019

Day #41: 7 Things Project Managers Should Never Say in a Job Interview

Apparently, we had a really nice time last week going through lists and rankings... so let's continue. It makes sense, in some way, since short lists with appealing titles are extremely good click-baits. Maybe not the 130 influencers in PM in 2019, but anyway.

Today we have 7 things project managers should never say in a job interview. First, I will list them all so that you can reflect on them. Then, a short explanation about why these are not convenient things to say.


  1. “How do I go about creating a project plan? I start by gathering the requirements, then I analyze product feasibility and user needs…”
  2. “Every project I’ve managed has come in on time and under-budget. After all, I have five certifications, so I’m bound to be successful.”
  3. “The most complex project I have managed had a schedule comprised of three to four activities.”
  4. My last project failed because the company had bad processes.”
  5. “I usually hand off final issues such as bugs, integration problems or emerging regulatory issues to another team once a project is completed or begins the closing phase.”
  6. “If the CIO personally selected me to manage an important new project, I would say ‘yes’ no matter how many projects are on my plate.”
  7. “If one member is dragging down the team’s performance, I would compare their performance to the stated goals and expectations and possibly put them on a performance improvement plan.”
Resultado de imagen de job interview
Image from forbes.com
Answers...

  1. Bad terminology! You shouldn't use lifecycle terms to describe an approach to projects, instead of PM terms such as scope, budgeting, scheduling...
  2. It's impossible that all projects are successful... That's life!
  3. Complex projects have schedules comprised of 300 or more activities, so you are lacking a couple of zeroes. 
  4. Take responsibility!
  5. Again, take responsibility. Closing a project is important.
  6. That doesn't say much about your workload management.
  7. Emotional intelligence and empathy would be welcomed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment